Our client, a private-equity owned healthcare business and data automation company, is on a mission to create an operationally eﬃcient healthcare supply chain. Its technology-based platforms, analytics and solutions, bring industry players together, increasing eﬃciency and driving down costs across the supply chain.
The client needed support in improving turnaround time of rejected invoices and reduce percentage of rejected invoices containing Protected Health Information (PHI)
The client helps 36 hospitals across the US to eﬃciently process invoices, enabling full visibility and ensuring rigorous contract compliance. Every month, the client receives nearly 150,000 invoices from over 10,000 suppliers. Its on-demand invoice processing solution automates various aspects of the invoice process, including invoice receipt, document image and data capture, and workﬂow management, leading to lower costs, improved eﬃciencies, and faster processing. But two major roadblocks were hampering the eﬃciency of the automated solution.
- Roadblock #1: It took the client nearly a week to receive rejected invoices data (about 2% of the total volume). The reason: the rejected invoices had to be manually scanned and then physically shipped back to the hospitals after data capture.
- Roadblock # 2: In March 2020, the number of invoices rejected due to the presence of PHI information on the invoice, shot up to about 3% of overall rejects due to instruction changes – from just 0.4% earlier.
Firstsource leveraged its proprietary workﬂow platform Sympraxis to automate rejected invoice data capture.
Firstsource’s technology team collaborated with the client to automate the data capture of rejected invoices. To address the ﬁrst roadblock, the Firstsource team leveraged its ‘Digital First, Digital Now’ approach and harnessed its proprietary workﬂow and case management platform Sympraxis to automate data extraction and minimize manual intervention. Sympraxis leverages an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) rules engine to accurately extract relevant information and converts them into an electronic format. The electronic invoices are then emailed to the client instantly. Not only did this signiﬁcantly reduce the turnaround time of rejected invoices from one week to 24 hours, but it also eliminated the shipping costs associated with mailing the rejected invoices back to the client.
Similarly, the OCR engine of Sympraxis automatically identiﬁes invoices containing PHI using PHI-related keywords and sends them to the diﬀerent workﬂow for PHI redaction and further processing.
Firstsource’s automation solution drove several tangible results including:
- Reduced turnaround time from 1 week down to less than 24 hours
- Elimination of Delivery Services cost
- Reduction of rejected invoices
- Zero PHI-related rejects by redacting all PHI- related invoices with 100% accuracy